Pages

September 8, 2009

Butterfly’s

I saw this post from Craft Critique encouraging crafters to send butterfly’s to the Holocaust Museum of Houston for their Butterfly Project.

I have two photographs of a Monarch I took a couple of years ago, and although it isn’t technically Handmade I think I’ll send a print anyway.

The Monarch's Throne Exmpl

Of course the one I’m going to send won’t have the watermark, and I’m thinking of taking off the text at the bottom.  Both are on gloss photo paper (no matte :<) and un-mounted.  I might sell on Etsy :o

Sustenance Exmpl

I’m contemplating doing a mini art quilt, since I’ve always been intrigued by art quilts, and the desired size for the Butterfly Project is 8”x10” so the small size might be perfect for a first art quilt.  My vision:  this butterfly fabric as the background with a silhouette of either a child, a butterfly, or a child holding a butterfly (if I can do that nicely).

The Butterfly

The last, the very last,
So richly, brightly, dazzlingly yellow.
Perhaps if the sun’s tears would sing
against a white stone.… 

Such, such a yellow Is carried lightly ’way up high.
It went away I’m sure because it wished to kiss the world good-bye.

For seven weeks I’ve lived in here,
Penned up inside this ghetto.
But I have found what I love here.
The dandelions call to me
And the white chestnut branches in the court.
Only I never saw another butterfly.

That butterfly was the last one.
Butterflies don’t live in here, in the ghetto.

Pavel Friedman, June 4, 1942
Born in Prague on January 7, 1921.
Deported to the Terezin Concentration Camp on April 26, 1942.
Died in Aushchwitz on September 29, 1944

Additional info on the Butterfly Project:

  • Inspired by the bookI Never Saw Another Butterfly
  • Museum will try to collect 1.5 million handmade butterflies
    • One butterfly for each of the 1,500,00 children who died in the Holocaust
    • The butterflies will be displayed in an exhibition scheduled for Spring, 2012
    • If you’d like to participate send your butterfly to:

      Holocaust Museum Houston
      Butterfly Project
      Education Department
      5401 Caroline St.
      Houston, TX 77004
      USA

      • Include Name, Organization/School, Your Address, e-mail, and total number of butterflies sent
    • butterflyproject@hmh.org
  • Or send through Craft Critique (click link for more info)

No comments:

Post a Comment